Monday, September 14, 2015

Pretty ordinary...

We've been here two weeks already. It doesn't seem like two weeks. Seems like two MONTHS! We've done so much in that time, I guess I cannot understand that just two weeks have passed.

 

We are doing fine, adjusting well, and honestly, stuff is kind of becoming routine. Weird how we moved so far away just to do the same stuff. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, church, scouts, shopping, work, and school...not in that order...it's all SO different, but also ordinary.

Getting our trolley ready to go shopping...and flat Stanley's we are doing with my sisters class.
Riding on the bus to the store.

In front of the grocery store...The Wellcome...this isn't a typo

Steve went to work for the first time this morning from Hong Kong. Seems weird without him. This Thursday, we will be moving into our permanent apartment. If you think of it, please say a prayer for me and the kids this week...we have a delivery coming from IKEA on Wednesday (to the new apartment...which our agent will open up just for the delivery), and another delivery coming from a furniture store on Thursday, when we can actually be at the apartment. We have to move out of this temporary apartment by 10am on Thursday, which means gathering about 20 bags of luggage, groceries, and such together and getting it over to the new place. While I have NO desire to drive here...I would trade my right arm for a pickup truck on Thursday. Thankfully, there is a wonderful thing called a "hire car" here, which are mostly vans for hire to take you and your stuff from one place to another. So, I'll call them and we will load it up and move on out. Thank goodness for big strapping sons.

Paul, Sam, and Lizzy attended a Discovery Scouts program on Saturday afternoon. It is similar to Boy Scouts and cub scouts, but it is very British. It is coed and Lizzy enjoyed joining in The Beaver scouts while Sam and Paul joined the Boy Scouts. They all enjoyed it very much and want to go back. It is only a five minute walk from our flat, so that is huge! Our plan is continue as lone scouts in the Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts of America programs, but also become members of the Discovery scouts. So much overlaps and we will keep track of their progress in each as we move forward.

Steve and I have visited the two local Protestant churches here on Discovery Bay and enjoyed both of them. We plan to also visit the International Methodist church on HK island also and take the children to all of them before we make up our minds.

We've made friends with FedEx families already and have enjoyed spending two afternoons with them. Nice people with nice kids and it is so nice to meet other pilot families who understand completely this experience. And these families have been here quite a long time, so they are wonderful resources for us. This is Lizzy enjoying North beach on one outing.

 

But there's one thing I have decided I hate...Laundry in HK. I thought I couldn't hate laundry more, but I hate this machine. If I had to use one of these for the next two years, I would pack my bags right now. Thankfully, our new apartment has a separate washer and dryer. The temporary apartment has this washer dryer combo thingy..... Not a bad idea, but it is terrible in reality. The shortest wash cycle is two hours...the shortest drying cycle is two hours BUT nothing is dry once it comes out. It's all damp. If I could fluff and then hang, I would rather do that....add this to the fact that the only place to hang dry things is in the kitchen or the hallway and it is just an exercise in frustration.

So there...the one thing I hate about Hong Kong. Washer/Dryer combos.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. After watching so much stuff from Korea, I have found most hang their clothes to dry and now I know why lol! Glad all is moving along and going well. Tell the kids my kids and I said hi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After watching so much stuff from Korea, I have found most hang their clothes to dry and now I know why lol! Glad all is moving along and going well. Tell the kids my kids and I said hi!!

    ReplyDelete